Sunday, August 21, 2016

#Homecoming2016

Was it worth it?
20160813_233707.jpg
Saturday night, August 13th, at 10:30 pm, my wife and I drove to the Missouri Botanical Garden to take in the rare blooming of the amorphophallus titanum, commonly called the Corpse flower due to the odor and size.  An hour to get there; a half an hour wait in line; an hour to get home...  Was it worth it?
(Seldom do I see 2:00 am these days.)
Start of the year…
There has been a very encouraging mood throughout rooms, halls, buildings and even the district.  The first full week of school held the August full moon, yet the building had a great feel.  Students said they wanted to go to school year around, just because of the safety and security also offered in this setting.  ALL students are able to smile easier when talked to.  (Let me know if there’s one that won’t smile with prompting.)  We have been reaching into student’s lives, and building bridges of commonality in a quest to teach. They have responded. Reading in AC LABS has become a new norm, and will continue. Winfield Middle School is becoming a sanctuary of learning.

HOMECOMING SPIRIT WEEK
spirit week 2016.jpg
NOW TRENDING: #Homecoming at Winfield
The Parade, The Carnival, The Game on Saturday - all followed by the evening dance, seems to maximize the enjoyment for as much of the community as possible.
Monday
Tuesday
  • Baseball Apparel - Go Cards!
Wednesday
  • Favorite Animal - Hmmm?  Lions, tigers or bears?  Oh my!
Thursday
  • Tacky Tourist / Beach Wear - I know what shirt I will wear!
Friday
  • Class Color - Students wear White, Red, or Black for 6th, 7th or 8th grade.

Agenda for HOMECOMING DAY
Saturday - August 27th
  • 10:00 – Parade gathering at the Middle School
    • Heading to the High School
  • 10:30 – Tailgate with games, prizes, food, and bounce houses!!
  • 12:40 – Homecoming Court Introduction
  • 1:00 – GAME TIME!!
    • Your Warriors face off against Montgomery Co.
    • Half-Time
    • Cheer and Band will perform
    • Recognitions
    • King and Queen will be crowned
  • 7-10:00 – Homecoming Dance in the HS Commons

Conclusion
After driving an hour, waiting in line for another half hour, then seeing the flower for less than 5 minutes, it makes me wonder…  Was it worth it?  YES.  Unabashedly Yes.  How often would I actually get to see and smell it in "Real Life?"  I heard a student say, "Grand Canyon? I will just Google it!" How many other things do I miss because I am in a hurry, on my way someplace else, or not paying attention. I really must take time to smell the roses. I see these 8th graders and it seems like they were just in 6th grade. They are growing leaps and bounds right now, and it is amazing the maturity they are showing. We strive to provide them opportunities for leadership. Their efforts during the 6th grade open house were invaluable. Their matching shirts assured visitors, inspired confidence, and looked good to boot!  Mentoring and peer leadership roles are wonderful motivators at getting those students engaged.


Tom McCracken

No comments:

Post a Comment